2013-01-25

Reilly Is Hurt

Holy shit this piece about Lance Armstrong by Rick Reilly is terrible.

And that's saying a lot given the mountains of bad articles by Reilly.

"Among my emails Wednesday morning, out of the blue, was one from Lance Armstrong.

Riles, I'm sorry.

All I can say for now but also the most heartfelt thing too. Two very important words.

L

And my first thought was ... "Two words? That's it?"

Two words? For 14 years of defending a man? And in the end, being made to look like a chump?"

Can't stand seeing people use nicknames in what should be a professional relationship. Can't stand it. Anyway, it's been very well documented and reported that Armstrong is a supreme, arrogant, narcissistic jerk. That "Riles" got an apology is rather remarkable. Or was Riley also in denial about that too? That's one more than hard core cycling fans who had posters of Lance hanging over their beds. Unless, Riley had one too. One would think he was tearing up as he typed this stuff.

Riley made himself look like a chump because he willingly chose to be deceived. Even with all the doubt that mounted over the years, you mean to tell me not a shred of skepticism entered the guy's head? He couldn't be bothered to at least investigate it further? Fuck.

For a guy in his position, (with all his awards no less) and all the access to information he is privy to there's no excuse what's so ever to be pulled in by Lance. None.

Terrible.

"...But here's the thing. When he says he's sorry now, how do we know he's not still lying? How do we know it's not just another great performance by the all-time leader in them?
And I guess I should let it go, but I keep thinking how hard he used me. Made me look like a sap. Made me carry his dirty water and I didn't even know it."

Oh, now he starts to ask questions? Are you a professional or not? Used you? What are you, 13?

And why is this about him anyway? He sounds like a girl who willingly chose to fall in love with an asshole. Boyfriend, "Hey, bitch go get me my beer." Reilly (to shocked onlookers), "He's stressed out."

Look, I've been fooled before. I believed Mark McGwire was hitting those home runs all on his own natural gifts. I believed Joe Paterno couldn't possibly cover up something so grisly as child molestation. I bought Manti Te'o's girlfriend story. But those people never looked me square in the pupils and spit.

Ah, yes. You weren't alone. Legions of bozo writers got roped in. Many of them feel so scorned (used to use Reilly's term) they probably took their revenge by not voting for McGwire at the BHOF. Never mind they should have done their jobs in the first place.

It's partially my fault. I let myself admire him. Let myself admire what he'd done with his life, admire the way he'd not only beaten his own cancer but was trying to help others beat it. When my sister was diagnosed, she read his book and got inspired. And I felt some pride in that. I let it get personal. And now I know he was living a lie and I was helping him live it...."

It's best to recall ESPN pays Reilly millions for this stuff.

Not hundreds, millions.

Millions to play the part of the jester and fool.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.