2014-02-16

Acceptance And Tolerance Are Two Different Things

My wife's grandmother - who was of American-Italian descent - never tired of telling stories about how poorly Quebec treated her.

She once told the story of how she and her husband were set to buy a house only to be told it had been sold once the French-Canadian owner saw their names.

Circle of life.

The French can't let go of the treatment they received at the hands of the English while immigrants sometimes have their own version of  'je me souviens.'

In many ways, the province has never really been able to get past this reality. Thanks largely to the Parti-Quebecois. The Charter is but one example, among many, proving Quebec has never really evolved from the story told by my wife's grandmother.

Quebec tolerates immigrants. It doesn't accept them as full blown Quebecers.

The word tolerance has always had ugly overtones for me. It suggests to me one group is above another. I tend to run in the opposite direction whenever a person or persons keep feeling the need to tell us how 'tolerant' they are.  Sorta like progressives are quite possibly the most intolerant when it comes to other points of views.

And you hear this fact on the radio and television all the time here. They apparent disconnect between commentator and a person listening who might think it inappropriate is rather wide.

Mordecai Richler, Dave Tallon, Arcade Fire and anyone else from Montreal who happen to be English-speaking may as well be from Ontario as they're not part of the pure laine fabric. Don't believe me? Look up how some of those mentioned have run afoul with nationalists here.

One may assert this is not so but I've seen and heard too many instances where I've come accept this as reality. When the PQ are in power, they may as well be an enemy party since I have zero confidence or trust that they have my interest at heart. Not that I really care about them as individuals but as a party they can wreak havoc on my life - and the place I call home.

I know the PQ, despite what Lisee says, doesn't see me as an equal and I in return don't consider them of possessing anything of grand intellectual importance. They're political, divisive miscreants as far as I'm concerned. 

They're reactionary. The thought that Charter is a mean to express and protect secular values is total, utter bull shit. Canada, in this way, is superior on almost every level when compared to the nonsense happening in Quebec.

It's all about one thing and one thing only.

To show who's boss.

Yes, you're welcomed here but remember it's our house.

Sigh.

Quebec has a long, long, long way to go to catch up in terms of living outside themselves and creating a true, open and accepting society.

Hopefully, as more people choose to come to Quebec (although, I have to admit, given the choices I don't know why), one can hope the influx brings new hope and change.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.