2014-02-27

Public Wait Times Obscene

My ear doctor is requesting an MRI. As is usually the case, I have a private and public option. Naturally, the doctor is sending me to a public hospital - which I detest.

But I'm a rational person so I wanted to call and see what the wait time is like before I go private.

The first thing I hear after I dial? A special message telling patients there's a 15-hour wait to see a doctor in the emergency ward.

Fifteen. Hours.

Welcome to public health.

Mediocrity in all its compassionate glory.

I can but slap my forehead.

But hey. I should just keep quiet, because America.

Anyway.

Wait time for an MRI?

Six months.

Private it is.

Got an appointment inside two weeks. I made the mistake of going for a blood test on the public side wasting 3 hours of my life. A private service takes 30 minutes. Yeah, I have to front $300 but I get most of it back through insurance. Best $90 one can spend if one values such things.

Does this make me a bad person? I mean, I once read someone claim people who go private are killing the public system and are 'greedy' for not thinking of others.

I kid you not.

Apparently, I have to sit in pain for this person all for, I don't even know anymore they're so irrational.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mysterious and anonymous comments as well as those laced with cyanide and ad hominen attacks will be deleted. Thank you for your attention, chumps.